- This event has passed.
May 11 • 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
NDRF Economic Resilience Workshop
Region I of the US Department of Homeland Security Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the US Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration (EDA), and the Northeastern University Global Resilience Institute are co-hosting a one-day Economic Resilience Workshop focused on implementation of the National Disaster Recovery Framework (NDRF). This is the second in a series hosted by Region I, following the 2016 NDRF Implementation in the Healthcare Sector Workshop. The 2017 NDRF Economic Resilience Workshop will connect state, tribal, and community representatives with economic resiliency and recovery subject matter experts and resources.
If a catastrophic disaster strikes New England, local, regional, and state economies may be disrupted in profound ways. Physical damage and displacement of businesses is an immediate effect but indirect and secondary economic impacts will have long-term implications for community sustainability. The NDRF guides how federal resources will be mobilized to support states and communities as they work to prepare for and recover from economic disaster impacts.
The key word is “support”!
To improve the ability of federal partners to provide support, the NDRF Economic Resilience Workshop will:
- Identify federal resources available to state, tribal, and local governments to improve resiliency before a disaster strikes and recover from post-disaster impacts (for example, restoring cash flow in communities impacted by disasters).
- Highlight on-going efforts at all levels of government, within non-governmental organizations (NGO), and the private sector to improve resiliency and plan for recovery.
- Provide guidance for pre-disaster planning and organizational efforts that states, tribes, and local governments - as well as NGOs and the private sector - can undertake to better prepare for post-disaster recovery.When and Where?The Workshop is scheduled for Thursday, May 11, 2017 from 8:00 am until 3:00 pm and will be held at the George J. Kostas Research Institute for Homeland Security at Northeastern University in Burlington, Massachusetts. Invite only.
In addition to FEMA, EDA, and other federal partners, invited participants include:
- State agencies and organizations with roles and responsibilities for pre-disaster economic development and post- disaster economic recovery.
- Economic Development Districts in the New England States.
- Community partners representing local government, NGOs, and private sector perspectives.