On December 9th at 12pm EST, Distinguished Corporate Fellow, Richard Mroz and Suedeen Kelly, who serves as a regulatory counsel for Protect Our Power, will be speaking as a consultant and lawyer respectively, on cybersecurity and resilience issues of the grid. They would be discussing some of their work and bring attention to a number of issues we should be advocating for when protecting the grid.
Protect Our Power has been a leading voice for these issues even back when there was little to no attention to cybersecurity. There is a need to continue advocating for various measures such as including federal/state coordination focused on cybersecurity and transitioning to a smarter highly digitized grid. Amongst all this, there is also a need for the funding and cost of recovery measures in place for these investments, and increased focus on supply chain integrity.
Initiatives that POP has undertaken:
- Advocating for state regulators and energy officials to confront cyber threats in the distribution system
- Research on successful cybersecurity programs in the states
- Establishing a Best Practices program for buyers and sellers of IT / OT security measures
- Advocating for federal funding including that which was in the Infrastructure Legislation
- Need to establish long term funding and cost recovery policies for cybersecurity and resilience investments
- Need to for industry buyers and sellers of equipment and systems – along with policymakers and regulators – to focus on supply chain integrity and need for equipment standards, certifications, testing with continued development of the highly digitized grid.